After more than a year of development, it’s finally time to announce the release of Gajim 1.4.0! 🎉 Gajim 1.4 series comes with a completely redesigned message window and conversation management. Workspaces allow you to organize your chats to keep matters separate where needed. These changes were only possible by touching a lot of Gajim’s code base, and we appreciate all the feedback we got from you.
The new Gajim version comes with a completely redesigned main window. This window offers a sidebar containing workspaces, where you can organize all of your chats. Workspaces have been explained in detail last year. Each workspace holds a list of currently opened chats for both 1:1 chats and group chats. This makes it easy for you to keep matters separate. To make things simple and easy to use, we decided to migrate to a single window approach for Gajim. Chats opened via chat list will be displayed right next to it, keeping the window compact.
The way Gajim displays messages had not been changed for years. The previous approach had many limitations, but it was hard to replace it. Gajim 1.4 comes with a new approach, where each message is a separate ‘row’, which you can see in the above screenshot. This approach does not only look much cleaner, it also enables us to implement new features in the future, thinking of message reactions, replies, and so on.
For these changes to be implemented, we had to touch and refactor a good part of Gajim’s code base. Please report any issue you find! We appreciate your feedback.
Windows users please note: Windows builds are now based on Python 3.9, which does not run on Windows 7 or older.
- Redesigned Contact Info and Group Chat Info windows
- Redesigned Group Chat Creation window
- Full compatibility with XEP-0393 Message Styling
- Real-time message styling in the chat input box
- URL Image Preview, Plugin Installer, Syntax highlighting, and AppIndicator plugins have been integrated into Gajim
- Support for XEP-0425 Message Moderation in group chats
- Administrators can now define setting overrides
- Reworked notification system
- History manager has been replaced by Gajim’s internal search
- ‘Note to myself’ feature: write messages to your own contact (e.g. to another device)
- Improved Windows installer
- Improved contrast for light and dark themes
- Bookmark management window has been removed (all actions are still available in Gajim’s user interface)
- XEP-0174 Serverless Messaging via Zeroconf has been removed
- Client certificate setup has been removed
- User Mood (XEP-0107) and User Activity (XEP-0108) have been removed
Have a look at the changelog for the complete list.